Thursday, October 05, 2006

Refreshed!

I slept at 2am last night and woke up at 8am today feeling refreshed and alert. Given that I usually feel like a zombie with only 6 hours of sleep, that's amazing! And the reason was the reflexology session I had yesterday. While the session itself wasn't sleep-inducing, the reflexologist gave a good introduction of what reflexology really is:

1. There would be a little pain but not a lot of pain when a pressure point is pressed. He also showed me how to identify when the reflexologist has correctly pressed on a pressure point: you should feel a little "knot" when he runs his hand across the pressure point.

2. Harder is not better! Reflexology, as its name implies, works on reflecting back to the organs involved and does not require a lot of pressure. Too much pressure can cause the pressure points to be pressed further into the foot and requires ever greater pressure to access the pressure points. Worse, it may cause nerve injury.

3. Sticks are used for therapeutic/medical purposes and should only be used by a VERY experienced reflexologist. To be safe, avoid the use of sticks for reflexology. See 2 above for reason.

I did feel sleepy after the session and slept well thereafter. Think I'm going back for more. The good thing is, this place in Chinatown only charges half of what the spas in town charges.

No comments: