Monday, December 18, 2006

Good Bites

The last week has been a very lazy one for me. I spent the entire weekend sleeping! Don't know why but the fatigue just washed me over. Saved for one hafla on Sat night, the rest of the weekend was spent either asleep or eating. Which explained the inactivity here. But I did make a couple of discoveries for good bites in the past week.

First was Pret-a-Manger, the new sandwich joint at Ogilvy Centre. I had their Avocado and Pinenuts Wrap for dinner, and I enjoyed every bite of it. Fresh veg, plump pinenuts, and a delightful pesto sauce. B had the BLT sandwich and fell in love with it. We both agreed that it was like having a gourmet meal, and that the food beats any of the sandwich chains out there at the moment. And B was most unconvinced at first about having to pay $3.80 for a sandwich. Now he says he will come back regularly for lunch since it's so near his office. Need I say more? Now, I just hope that they open more branches in town since I don't work in Raffles Place.

Second was Shiraz, a restaurant at Clarke Quay that claims to serve "authentic Persian cuisine". I was attracted to the restaurant because it had a bellydancer AND an accompanying live drummer, which is rare. For some reason, the restaurant couldn't tell me when does the dancer and drummer performs so I guess they are not resident there. I am in no position to comment on the authenticity of the food, but for me, the measure of a good Middle-Eastern restaurant is in the hummus, and Shiraz has the best hummus I have eaten in any restaurant on this island. You could taste the fresh chickpeas in the hummus. The main courses that followed were also good. All served in a softly lit surroundings. Plus, they had excellent service. Perfect for a quiet, intimate dinner.


Pret A Manger is at 01-02/06 The Ogilvy Centre. Tel: 6323 4165. Open: 7.30am to 7.30pm on weekdays; 8am to 2pm on Saturdays; closed on Sundays.

Shiraz is at Blk 3A, #01-06, Clarke Quay, The Merchant Court, River Valley Road, Singapore 179020. Tel: 6334 2282

3 comments:

sinlady said...

Lucky you-sleeping and eating all week! I actually went to work. Our bling girl uncovered Jive Talkin' playing at the foundry. We must go makan at Shiraz, then go dance to Jive Talkin'. Ming had video of a bellydancer at Shiraz some months ago.

wildgoose said...

Oh that sounds like a good plan. Just say when! :)
Hee... I also working mah. Working at working to finding work. :p

Suzie Wong said...

Yup, i had but sorry deleted liao. Yes it's a nice place. Wow, lucky girl, eat, sleep and party. Looks like i can't join both you anytime soon. Gonna have another well-booked January 07