It’s the end of the year and time to reflect on what has passed, throw out the old and welcome the future.
It’s been 9 months since I quit my job. The initial euphoria soon gave way to restlessness, so I left to backpack by myself for one month. It would have been much longer if not for all the objections. But as it is, it’s been great meeting people from all over the world (mostly Caucasians and some Japanese) who were mostly backpacking alone, who wanted to see the world, and didn’t see satisfaction in life as earning more than others, or having a car of your own. They don’t ask what you did, and are puzzled by the fixation in Asia with asking people’s occupation, age, and marital status.
I know one month was a short time to be away, but I felt that if I have to relocate, I could manage. More importantly, I realized the exploration is to be carried out not so much away, as within yourself.
And that’s where I’m glad I’ve rediscovered yoga, and found a style of yoga (Iyengar) that I enjoy learning. Not that I could really do much else due to an old injury, but yoga is helping me to recover and I am grateful for that; it’s something that’s going to stay with me. I have also realized that yoga is not something that you can rush learning. So any thoughts of teaching would have to wait.
I also found that I enjoy writing. Sometimes, phrases pop into my mind when I’m at an event, thinking of how to report it. But having the discipline to sit down and write, to clarify my fragmented thoughts, is another matter. Having this blog does enforce some discipline. And I want to write more in the new year.
But without a routine, I lose track of time. The days and hours that seem to fly past even though I’m not working. A trip to the kitchen to get a drink ends up half an hour long because I (sometimes volunteered) helped to look after my baby niece and little rascal of a nephew. I’m getting late more and more frequently for my appointments. That has to go.
Nonetheless, I’m also thankful that I have spent more time with good friends in the past year, and for the new ones that I have met. I wonder if a new year is a time to cull your friends: friends who spend too much time basking in negativity, monopolizing conversations (though unintentionally), not listening. I have since found out that people do remove friends from their circle. I hope I don’t have to yet. I’ll see.
Lastly, I’m thankful that I’ve met B (that broke another stereotypical view of mine: that the Net is full of prowling psychos).
All in, it was a good year. So here's to more yoga, more writing, and a new job in 2007 (I am looking for a job lest anyone thinks otherwise; I don't have millions stashed away).
Here’s to a great year ahead in 2007 to all my friends. May all your wishes come true.
6 comments:
Drop lousy people you thought were friends? Where have I heard that before? LOL. Happy New Year. You have been precious as a friend.
Thanks, Ms Sin. You too. :)
Thouroughly enjoyed the cake and coffee.....sorry if i fall into the category of monopolising conversations type (yes, totally unintentional), I know i talk to much. It's my profession to keep yakking non stop, I hope you don't drop me from your fren list......
after that i went to actors and sang non stop for almost an hour because it was so quiet....6 staff and only 5 patrons!
Suzie Wong - of course you don't fall into any of those categories. Not anyone who reads this blog. I enjoyed the coffee and cake too. Was a fun session. Should have gone Actors with you. Do you know I only heard you sing once? YouTube doesn't count.
Happy 2007, sweetie!! I'm so grateful for the opportunity to have gotten to know you a little better in 2006. Here's wishing you more good times, good friends, good memories for 2007 and beyond!!!!
Thanks Simone.It's been great knowing you too. A very happy new year to you. Hope you fulfill all your resolutions. :)
Post a Comment