Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Singapore Blues Festival"

It happened on Friday night at Furama Riverfront Hotel. Bet you didn't know about it. Because it wasn't a concert, but the wedding of one of the blues musicians in Singapore. And he managed to gather 90% of the blues musicians in the country (all of 2 tables full) for one night of jamming.

The bride's friends started the night with pop on vocals and the keyboard. It was torture to the hardcore blues fans. Before the keyboardist could finish, the blues singer exclaimed, "It's time to take the stage!" She looked like she's about to run up and grab the mike from the singer. These people are serious about their music.

Overheard from one blues musician to another.

"Why aren't you eating prawns with your hands?"

"I don't want the smell of prawns all over my guitar!"

Prawn smell or not, the bluesmen were only too happy to get the jamming going, even with the Jam Master missing (drunk, somewhere). There were the bassist and keyboardist from UBlues, jammers from Crazy Elephant, and of course, from Roomful of Blues. And it was great since I had the chance to listen to all the other musicians, the different styles and because there'll always be one or two persons missing at Roomful on Saturdays.

One of the harpist (harmonica player) had requested for "no sound" for the blog. But I have to show you the video of my favourite guitarist who jams at Roomful of Blues. So I took a short video without showing his face.



And now THAT harpist says I should have taken a longer video. Hmmph. But it's true. You would have heard how good the singer is, and the band at Roomful is. You can tell which style of blues I like now. :)

Sat nights at Roomful anyone?

Roomful of Blues
72, Prinsep Street
Blues jamming on Sat from 9 to 11pm.

4 comments:

sinlady said...

What a fun wedding ! Will make date to go Roomful very soon.

wildgoose said...

Oh it was, Sinlady. Will let you know when I go again. :)

Suzie Wong said...

sounds nice a party....my kind of wedding......

wildgoose said...

Suzie Wong - It was one of the most fun weddings I attended. The bride and groom marched in dancing and twirling for an entire song.