Monday, July 23, 2007

Stories from Dating an Older Man

Last weekend, I was playing one of my all-time favourite CD for B to listen - Thievery Corporation's The Mirror Conspiracy. The moment the music started, he said, "This is the kind of music I like."

It was a surprise. Seeing my smile, he said, "I don't only listen to 'lao lang gua' (songs for old folks) ok!" He must have been waiting for this moment to retort me for a long time, for all the times I teased him for his love for sappy 80s pop ballads. And he goes on to say, "It's about the music, and not when the music is from."

I guess the eight-year age gap does make for a little laugh sometimes - but he may have the last laugh yet.

He was talking to two chaps at a wedding dinner last Saturday and got them to guess his age. They both guessed 27. That's younger than me! Not fair. It's just in his genes. His mom looks a good 10 years younger than her age, and she only uses soap and water on her face. And his elder sister looks at least five years younger than her age and still got her six-pack.

Thank goodness I look young for my age (at least, according to the last time someone guessed my age), but at this rate, I will be aging "faster" than him.

5 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

i would have thot B is A LOT younger than me....but, aiya, still younger la

sinlady said...

He really looks years younger than his age :)

wildgoose said...

Suzie Wong - but might LOOK older than him in no time! hahaha....

SL - he does. I thought he looked 30 when I first met him.

Anonymous said...

somehow its quite funny how the fact that your partner is of a 'different generation' from you creeps in. my husband's 8 yrs older than me too. guess the age gap is not so noticeable as you get older. and im a strong believer that its all about the timing.

imagine yrs ago when hes in the army, u are still in primary school.

yeeks!

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - shanster looks young too. I wouldn't have guessed he's 8 years older than you.
Oh I agree with you. And we went through all the possible, "if you were at that age..." Very fun. hahahah....