I went to the orthodontist for the first time today. For the longest time, I thought all dentists were the same. I learned about orthodontics only when I chanced upon a forum discussion on braces.
I had wanted braces since I was in school, but my parents didn't think I need them. Two of my previous dentists had told me the same. After I started working, I thought of paying for them myself but I wondered if it were worth the pain and expense especially since I've lived with my teeth for so long. That is until the last couple of years, when I realised that my teeth seems to be shifting.
Today, the orthodontist confirmed that I have a deep bite. He said if I had seen an orthodontist when I was 10 or 11, something could have been done about my underdeveloped lower jaw. Although he needs an x-ray to confirm it, from what he sees now, I'm likely to need jaw surgery to correct the problem. Braces alone has limitations in correcting the problem. In fact, straightening the upper teeth would worsen the deep bite. To correct that, he would have to incline the lower teeth outwards to meet the upper teeth, which isn't exactly "correct".
I am not sure about this. It isn't for vanity alone that I went to an orthodontist. But I am definitely not prepared for surgery, whether or not it's subsidized by Medisave. And if braces were a half-measure, is it worth it? I think I need a second opinion.
I had wanted braces since I was in school, but my parents didn't think I need them. Two of my previous dentists had told me the same. After I started working, I thought of paying for them myself but I wondered if it were worth the pain and expense especially since I've lived with my teeth for so long. That is until the last couple of years, when I realised that my teeth seems to be shifting.
Today, the orthodontist confirmed that I have a deep bite. He said if I had seen an orthodontist when I was 10 or 11, something could have been done about my underdeveloped lower jaw. Although he needs an x-ray to confirm it, from what he sees now, I'm likely to need jaw surgery to correct the problem. Braces alone has limitations in correcting the problem. In fact, straightening the upper teeth would worsen the deep bite. To correct that, he would have to incline the lower teeth outwards to meet the upper teeth, which isn't exactly "correct".
I am not sure about this. It isn't for vanity alone that I went to an orthodontist. But I am definitely not prepared for surgery, whether or not it's subsidized by Medisave. And if braces were a half-measure, is it worth it? I think I need a second opinion.
5 comments:
if the consideration is pure vanity, i'd say do it. but it does change your jawline somewhat.
does it affect your gums? does it affect your molars badly? if there're no other medical considerations, then perhaps surgery is not needed.
i think it's worth getting a second professional opinion before u decide on surgery. and see what this second opinion think about braces.
Two issues are involved here:
1. function
2. cosmetic
Get second opinion and decide based on what if left alone.
imp & sinlady - definitely will get second opinion. And it's definitely the "what if left alone" question that's bothering me.
Heard there's this invisilign or somthing
Suzie - that's also a kind of braces. :) The good thing is it's invisible but heard that it's much more expensive.
Post a Comment