It started out innocuously enough. When I was in Uni, I like to enjoy a cup of teh-O in the afternoons during my break from studies. I'll savour the tea fragrance and enjoy the late afternoon breeze in the arts canteen. It calms and soothes me.
When I started working, I had no more luxury of taking mid-morning or afternoon breaks. I used coffee as a perk me up. First it was one a day, then two. Then I realised even two was not enough and I still struggled with fatigue and sleepiness in the late afternoon. What's wrong with the addiction?
Nothing, for most people I guess. But for the ex-colleague on 5 cups a day with low bone mass, I'll say I don't want to go where he is. Moreover, coffee reduces my appetite. I'm lactose intolerant which probably explains it. But I can't drink the kopi-O kosong some colleagues prefer. It doesn't have that enticing aroama. It just smells ...black. Occasionally, coffee gives me a cramp or a headache. I just don't know when that would happen. It sounds like a temperamental friend, doesn't it?
I cut the addiction once but went back after 6 weeks.
I happily cut it when I stopped working, but still enjoy the occasional cuppa. Nonetheless, when I have one, the next day I'll want another one, and then the next day, and the next day. It's a constant struggle. I have tea as a substitute sometimes but it doesn't give that kick. I think the aroma of coffee provides the kick more than the taste does. Sometimes after making a cup of coffee, I happily let it sit. The aroma alone has satisfied me. No matter how much more smoothly that lovely cup of Tie Guan Yin slides down my throat, it doesn't give that satisfaction, that high of coffee.
When I started working, I had no more luxury of taking mid-morning or afternoon breaks. I used coffee as a perk me up. First it was one a day, then two. Then I realised even two was not enough and I still struggled with fatigue and sleepiness in the late afternoon. What's wrong with the addiction?
Nothing, for most people I guess. But for the ex-colleague on 5 cups a day with low bone mass, I'll say I don't want to go where he is. Moreover, coffee reduces my appetite. I'm lactose intolerant which probably explains it. But I can't drink the kopi-O kosong some colleagues prefer. It doesn't have that enticing aroama. It just smells ...black. Occasionally, coffee gives me a cramp or a headache. I just don't know when that would happen. It sounds like a temperamental friend, doesn't it?
I cut the addiction once but went back after 6 weeks.
I happily cut it when I stopped working, but still enjoy the occasional cuppa. Nonetheless, when I have one, the next day I'll want another one, and then the next day, and the next day. It's a constant struggle. I have tea as a substitute sometimes but it doesn't give that kick. I think the aroma of coffee provides the kick more than the taste does. Sometimes after making a cup of coffee, I happily let it sit. The aroma alone has satisfied me. No matter how much more smoothly that lovely cup of Tie Guan Yin slides down my throat, it doesn't give that satisfaction, that high of coffee.
3 comments:
I've been a caffine fiend since JC days! Don't think I can function without coffee.
i was just about to showoff my new adoption of a 2nd hand coffee machine in my next post (but have not taken the photo yet), the kind that suppose to grind beans and use metal filter. I just finished a cup and....man, i think I don't need to go starbucks anymore!
SL - so long as there's no negative effects for you, why not?
Suzie - so cool to have an expresso machine! yeah, you can have the coffee anyway you like now.
Post a Comment