Thursday, April 03, 2008

Second Opinion

I finally went to another orthodontist yesterday for a second opinion on my deep bite. This orthodontist thought I might need to have jaw surgery too; but she said she didn't recommend surgery to move my lower jaw forward because I might look aggressive as a result and "it's not on" for a woman to look aggressive. She would start me on the braces and see how the progress is before she decides whether I need micro-implants as anchors to move the upper front teeth back without moving the upper back teeth forward instead. That sounds like a much more comfortable option than surgery. 

I'm more or less decided on having the braces. I have always disliked my teeth, and I'm glad to be able to do something about it. I'm just bracing myself (pun not intended) for the pain. Not so much of the physical pain, but the pain of less holidays, less shopping in exchange. :p And I do hope that the Damon 3MX braces the orthodontist is recommending is really less painful than the conventional ones. 

P.S.  Nice to know the shorthand names specialists use on their patients: throughout the consultation, the orthodontist would voice her observations on my teeth for her assistant to write down. First thing she said when she saw my (front) teeth: "squirrel teeth". 

4 comments:

sinlady said...

squirrel teeth - so cute :)

wildgoose said...

SL - I didn't think it was cute when I heard it, much as I think squirrels are cute. :p

Anonymous said...

surgery to move jaw forward? sounds very extreme!

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - it is! I can't make myself agree to the idea.