Monday, June 09, 2008

What do you want to leave behind?

Reading suzie wong's post today about her fellow entertainer reminded me about my ex-colleague. A couple of months back, I was prompted by one of the social networking sites that his birthday was nearing. But of course, he's gone. Took his own life too. Except that the website owners couldn't have known that and his account would probably continue in perpetuity? And it made me question, what do you do with your cyber life when you are gone?  

In the past, it was sufficient to leave a will to distribute your belongings, if there's anything of value.  Now, do we need to leave a will to "dispose" of your virtual assets, identities, or other threads of evidence that you once passed through this world? The idea of owning a virtual property after I'm gone is frankly weird. If I'm gone, I'm gone. I don't need to leave a stake in cyberspace. Now I just got to figure how I'm going to do this. 

6 comments:

sinlady said...

i know people who say they wanted to leave behind something of themselves in cyberspace long after they cease to be. but u pose an interesting question. let us know what u find out.

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of a friend who passed away of leukemia and I didnt know about it. i even sms him to ask him how come he has been so quiet?

it was a few months after when i realised what happened to that poor guy.

it was with a heavy heart when i deleted his phone number and email address off my contact list.

wildgoose said...

SL - I really don't know except to ask someone you trust to remove all trace? That's pretty much like leaving a will. Although I think finally, the admin of whatever site will shut down accounts which are inactive for a long time even though none except hotmail does that now.

edp junkie - I know what you mean. I didn't have the heart to delete this person's profile either. Reminds me to keep in touch with my frens.

Suzie Wong said...

eewwww....alamak! i have a lot of videos on youtube, myspace, facebook etc leh....think i better write my passwords somewhere! hmm....can't imagine some people still insulting me on youtube about my pole dancing after i'm gone!

Anonymous said...

SW: u can creep out those people who insult you by getting your trustee to post replies! after making sure that those people know that you are gone from this world already. haha :P

wildgoose said...

suzie wong - it's sure is awful to not be able to "talk" back.


edp junkie - you sure has ideas to creep people out! :)