Sunday, July 06, 2008

Mind Your Own Weight

I really detest people commenting on my weight. Or suggest that I'm on a diet. I have heard enough pesky comments on my weight as far back as I can remember, from when I was a little kid. 

I'm sure I would be told I'm rude if I said someone is fat. But no one ever seems to think that they are rude when they tell me that I'm thin, that I should put on more weight or ask whether I'm on diet (which I never am). The hypocrisy and the double standards. Or do they think that thin people have no feelings and that you can say whatever you like to them? It's all that I can do to not be rude, never mind that these people are supposed to be my elders. It's even worse when these people are hardly role models where weight management or health is concerned. 

So long as I'm healthy, I don't care about my weight. I don't weigh myself and neither do I starve myself. If I don't fit into my clothes, I exercise more. That's it. If I don't quibble with whether I gain or lose 400 grams, or whether I ate more or less rice than yesterday or the person next to me, nobody else should too. 

6 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

These people are just jeolous...I'm always telling Ms SL what a hot bod you have, one of the best I've known, you know like the chinese saying "big and small at the correct places".

Aiya next time when people ask you again say yah, you taking slim 10 and you think they need it too! :)

sinlady said...

i agree with suziewong. those people are just jealous. and rude too.

wildgoose said...

Suzie Wong - thanks. But no, just cos they're rude doesn't mean I want to be rude like them too. Very tempted to though sometimes.

Sin Lady - thanks, but problem is, they don't realise it, and you can't just not see them sometimes.

Anonymous said...

well, i find these 'elders' commenting on weight the same level of rudeness as asking me if i'm married. so i can understand u being miffed.

it's like, they've nothing else better to talk about.

wildgoose said...

imp - that was true for me before I got married too. and i think it's true, there's nothing for them to talk about.

Anonymous said...

gal, u are lucky to be so slim! peopla r jealous lah.