I have been spending time whenever I go to my mom's to clear my room. 9 months after marriage, I still have lots of stuff at home. But it's time I clear out my room. There has been new additions to the family, and they could really utilise the room better.
I brought my clothes and little else when I moved because there wasn't room for the rest. While our bedroom now is about twice as big as my previous room, it functions more like a studio apartment (sans kitchen). There's also the TV, fish tank, and a digital piano. But constraints are good. It forces you to look at real needs.
I either junked or donated lots of my clothes in clearing out my wardrobe, and it still feels too much. I did a rough count recently and found that I have over 75 tops alone. Even if I were to wear a different piece every day, it would take me two and a half months to get through each one; many just sit there untouched for months. It boggles the mind to realise how much I have, and perhaps how little I really need.
Last Saturday at my mom's, I junked about 1/3 of the photographs I had, and there's still a pile I'm undecided about. I don't even want to start with the books, many of which are still half-read or unread. Worse are the knick-knacks and accessories. And there's the cupboard full of stuff toys that I collected. This is going to take a long time to clear.
I think I need to be more vigilant about bringing stuff home and more ruthless in purging.
I brought my clothes and little else when I moved because there wasn't room for the rest. While our bedroom now is about twice as big as my previous room, it functions more like a studio apartment (sans kitchen). There's also the TV, fish tank, and a digital piano. But constraints are good. It forces you to look at real needs.
I either junked or donated lots of my clothes in clearing out my wardrobe, and it still feels too much. I did a rough count recently and found that I have over 75 tops alone. Even if I were to wear a different piece every day, it would take me two and a half months to get through each one; many just sit there untouched for months. It boggles the mind to realise how much I have, and perhaps how little I really need.
Last Saturday at my mom's, I junked about 1/3 of the photographs I had, and there's still a pile I'm undecided about. I don't even want to start with the books, many of which are still half-read or unread. Worse are the knick-knacks and accessories. And there's the cupboard full of stuff toys that I collected. This is going to take a long time to clear.
I think I need to be more vigilant about bringing stuff home and more ruthless in purging.
5 comments:
After 3 years (or is it 4), my mum still has to bring things to me and asked if I had wanted them or discard! Hmm....me guilty!
isn't it amazing to dig up stuff you don't even remember you have??
Suzie - as long as your mom doesn't mind. haha... hope i don't take as long!
SL - haha... ya. and the last time that I use it. And that probably means it belongs to the bin. =P
hehe. im guilty too. the difference is that my bro couldnt wait for me so he basically junked my things himself!!!! in my case, ignorance of what i had is bliss.
edp junkie - haha... I'll scream if someone junked my books! :p The rest, I guess it's alright.
Post a Comment