Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stand Up and Speak Up (sort of)

I was at the Pink Dot event last Sat. I was hesistant about attending at first. I always considered myself neutral on the issue of homosexuality, i.e. I'm not against it, nor will I promote it. Live and let live. However, I guess the AWARE saga changed my mind.

I am guessing the majority of Singaporeans are really neutral on the issue of homosexuality. Or I should say, even if they don't agree, they are hardly going to seek discriminatory measures. But neither would they speak up on the issue. However, the voices of the religious conservatives are getting louder. And I'm not the only one feeling this way. If the neutral majority doesn't speak up, soon the voices of this vocal minority is going to claim that they speak for the majority. I can't allow these people to steal my voice. So I chose to stand up and let my presence speak for my view.

I'm happy at the turnout at the event. There were more people than I expected, although I don't know how the papers came up with the wildly different figures. aelgtoer asked me to take photos since he couldn't be there but I think you would do much better to look at the "official" video.




Did you see the pink pom in the video? :)

4 comments:

sinlady said...

glad pinkdot was a success! poor pink pom. don't do that to dogs lah.

wildgoose said...

SL - Me too!
I also think the dog very poor thing. Every photographer wants a pix and every other person wants a pix with the dog. It was looking distressed after a while.

dancingbunny said...

omg...wat did they do to that poor doggie...cute lah...but very poor thing lah

wildgoose said...

dancing bunny - think the fur was dyed. Poor thing.