Sunday, August 02, 2009

"Live" Pianist

The man was playing on the piano when the girlfriend called. Lounge music sounding stuff. I thought he would pause or stop when he heard the phone, but he continued, totally absorbed in his playing.

The girlfriend wants to discuss where we shall have dinner next - two days after we just met for dinner. With her recent penchant for atas dining places, I'll go broke if I agree every single time she asks me out for dinner and drinks. Anyway, three minutes into the rumination of where to go, she asked, "Is that your hubby playing the piano in the background?".

Me: Yes.
Friend: It's so romantic! We're having a conversation and there's "live" music in the background.
Me: Err.. ok.
Friend: Does he have a diploma for piano?
Me: No. He doesn't even have grade 8.
Friend: What is he playing?
Me: Whatever comes to his mind lor.
Friend: You mean he plays without a score?! I'm so impressed! I think he plays better than my piano teacher.
Me: I'm not surprised.

At which point, the girlfriend is a little miffed, thinking I was insulting her playing. Fact is, I have never heard her play. I'm just highly amused by how impressed she was with the man's playing.

I admit though, that I was impressed with the man's playing and still enjoys listening to his playing a lot, even if he always insists that he's technically not strong.

9 comments:

suzie wong said...

wa! can play harp & piano? so talented...mine can only play piano and whistle

wildgoose said...

suzie wong - yours can "tan jiak" with the piano. enough already.

sinlady said...

he plays piano! *impressed*. i had piano lessons as a child - hated it enough to give up after 5 years of torture!

wildgoose said...

SL - the piano is actually the first instrument he learnt. I gave up the piano after less than one year as a kid. haha.... I hated staccato. =P

Anonymous said...

wow he is quite musically talented. im like the hopeless case kind in school. however im toying of the idea of taking of piano lessons myself if Baby T is ever interested in taking up piano also. utilize the piano if we ever buy one, haha.

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - why not? heh.. I want to ask the man to teach me to play too. The piano is already there.

suzie wong said...

WG and SL,both if u gave up piano? wa lao so spoilt! haha. my family was too poor to afford one and everyday i had to pretend playing one using some sort of a pull-out table..i guess this is why i evetually choose to date a tan jiak pianist

dancingbunny said...

I couldnt afford piano lessons too. I am always very very envious of people whose fingers flew across the keys on the piano. Its just so nice

wildgoose said...

Suzie wong & dancing bunny - now I feel like a spoilt brat. :p although i might not have dancing fingers even if i had continued. It is nice to be able to play the piano. maybe it's also why i chose a musically inclined partner. hahaha...