Thursday, September 09, 2010

Quiet Luxury

When it comes to bags, the screaming monograms have never attracted me. Not when friends happily show off their purchases; not when friends drag me into boutiques to ask for opinions about which bag to buy. I don't care to own a bag which looks like half the female population of Singapore is carrying (whether authentic or fake). My preference leans towards an Hermes or a Bottega Veneta. I like their classic looks. Yet, you know it's an Hermes or a Bottega.


But I found something very appealing about the Celine Classic Box bag when I first laid eyes on it. Even though it's everywhere now (at least in the fashion circles) it does not shout out its own identity. Instead, the simple, versatile design is intended to complement its owner. Quiet luxury is so much more appealing.


But contemplation is all there is for now. After reading Dana Thomas' Deluxe, and knowing that a luxury brand can mark up a bag for 10 to 12 times its production costs, it's hard to think about putting down money for any of these bags. Perhaps, one day, when I really have nothing better to do with my money. ;p

4 comments:

sinlady said...

good choice :)

wildgoose said...

SL - Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

yah agree that its tough to put down money after learning how much they mark up. esp when they cost as much as someone's monthly salary. wait for those crazy summer sales when u feel really crazy ;P

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - this bag doesn't go on sale, unfortunately. and it costs more than many people's salary. haha... oh well.