I thought I could do this. Just give without thought of expectations. I did. It was a relief from being refused. It was also wonderful to be appreciated for it. Yet, the no expectations part was a constant challenge. Some days I feel I could. Other days, Iess so. I guess it's not a linear process, but a constant refinement. Recently, I found myself in a ludicrous state of mind. And I remember what my teacher said about being whole-hearted, and decided to stop being in this ambiguous affair. It is not so much about whether I can give without expectations. If I cannot give whole-heartedly, then I shouldn't be there. Everything we do affects other aspects of our life in terms of attitude. We can't compartmentalize our hearts just as we can't compartmentalize our lives.
2 comments:
there is a second component to the giving part (you)and that is the receiving part (the other). you have to give (whatever) to someone who appreciates the gift (whatever) or the whole transaction is meaningless.
SL - I agree although I can accept that sometimes the appreciation is not immediate. But it's also the person learning to accept what is being given instead of shying away.
Post a Comment