Recent events have proved that it is not only in organized religions that people become attached to fixed ideals. Any belief can become fundamentalist if there are people who latch on to the superficiality of it, and fail to look beyond the reasons for the practices. People who then insist on form regardless of the heart of the issue; entrenched and unforgiving on those who are different and therefore deemed lesser. Any belief can be superstitious no matter how much one claims devotion if the belief is not heart-felt but is merely emotional fireworks.
And I've seen some fireworks recently, and heard accusations of blasphemy in asking for admittance to an organization. It made me wonder about the reason for wanting admittance. It made me wonder if I want to be associated with these people. But to reject the organization is to give up, and to allow them to define what the organization is about. Or worse, to define what the practice is about. No one would give up God because there are a minority who tarnish the name of the religion. On the contrary, it is more important to carry on and show that there is more to my practice than some purport. For if I do not defend what I love, no one else would. The question now is, do I attempt this from within or without?
4 comments:
i don't know what you are talking about, but i know that whatever it is you want to live by that is true to you, it has to start from within and projected outwards to touch others.
SL - I deliberately made it vague but I wasn't clear in my last line. I meant within or without the organization. I understand what you mean but sometimes, prejudices and opinions run deep and it's hard to convince the other person. The other must want to see the light too, no?
wildgoose - i wouldn't want to infiltrate the organization. it is walking into enemy territory.
SL - I never thought of it as enemy territory but now that you put it that way... I cannot stand the thought of them shaping public opinion. It's like letting Al Qaeda define Islam.
Post a Comment