Sunday, December 05, 2010

Love Affairs

Having experienced what affairs can do to a family, reading Sin Lady's post has touched a raw spot. I cannot see how her friend could have chosen any other way. I would have serious trust issues about someone who walked away emotionally on his marriage, and then walked away on a supposedly wonderful love affair.

Parents think that what they do is strictly between them. They do not realize the damage they do to the children. Even now as an adult in my 30s, my rage still simmers towards the guilty parties. It is only because of my interest in reading up on psychology that recently let me realized how all the sadness in my childhood had made me depressed since then, something that I have to constantly fight off. The neglect and negative environment still and will continue to have lasting effects on all of us.

As a friend said today, if two persons are no longer in love, they should just divorce instead of having affairs. Otherwise, sons will grow up thinking they can treat women like dirt (if it's the father who philanders), and daughters grow up thinking it's normal to be treated like dirt.

I can't stomach the thought of myself ever being the other woman, even if it means missing out on the love affair of a lifetime.

4 comments:

sinlady said...

extramarital affairs hurt a lot people, but i have to admit that, as perverse as it sounds, some i can actually understand, and i wish those the best outcome.

wildgoose said...

SL - I'm not judging anyone. But there are consequences for the family which has to be dealt with, and usually neglected.

Anonymous said...

Agree with SL... Some affairs I can actually understand... But it's amazing how many people r having affairs around us. Esp married men with young kids. But I can't imagine carrying on a loveless marriage with or without kids. I do find that (given a small sample size ) people who stay married despite of that tend to get drawn into affairs, which is definitely more hurtful - EDPJ

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - there are many. I don't get it either. I can't help but feel that many men want to be understood but not wish to do the same for their partners.

Understand or not, my question then would be why continue with the marriage?