Overlooking the Old Quarter from the hostel rooftop
Living in the Old Quarter, it was easy to walk around and soak in the atmosphere of old Hanoi. Of course, I had to visit 87 Ma May Street, an old house restored in 1999 that's listed in every guide on Hanoi. I wasn't enamored with the place.
Instead, wandering around the area, I chanced upon the Bach Ma Temple, and Quan De Temple at 28 Hang Buom which are better conserved. In fact, 28 Hang Buom houses the Ca Tru Thang Long or the Vietnam Folklore Association. I would have loved to attend the Ca Tru singing performance that shows only every Saturday night if my schedule had allowed it. It seems like a more authentic and traditional than the water puppet show at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre.
To end the day, it is worth going to square around St Joseph's Cathedral, where the youths hang out having drinks in little cafes and soaking in the vibrancy of the city.
Otherwise, chancing upon Green Palm Gallery and seeing the works of Nguyen Thann Binh and Bui Huu Hung is the most enjoyable experience I encountered while strolling around Hanoi.
2 comments:
a nice walking tour on your own :)
Sin Lady - it was. Caught snippets of the city over the 3 half-days I had there. These were the highlights. :)
Post a Comment