Today, I heard music as I walked through the underpass linking Lucky Plaza and Ngee Ann City. I thought a busker has decided to set up shop there, which is rare, considering the low human traffic at that underpass. I turned and saw a white-haired lady seated on the floor. When I got a clear view of her, I saw that she was playing - a radio! She was playing recorded music from a CD/cassette tape/whatever and expecting to be paid! I saw a 2-dollar bill and some coins in the basket in front of her. I don't know if she put the money there, or someone spared her some change. All I know is, she looks perfectly healthy and capable of doing some work, but she's expecting money for playing music on a player, and the music is not even good or memorable. I would hardly consider what she's doing a service. I have more respect for the old ladies and uncles who sell tissues. At least, they are offering something you can use.
On a separate note, I saw some buskers later in the day playing Peruvian music on the pavement outside Ngee Ann City. It reminded me of the weekend in Kassel, Germany, when the city had a Stadtfest. The main street in town was closed to traffic and various groups of musicians played along the street. Everywhere you go, there's beautiful music, including musicians from Peru. There were also people selling their artwork, some created on the spot. The weather was cool. The mood lovely. I wish we could have something similar in Singapore. But Kassel is a city of barely two hundred thousand and Singapore is a city of 4 million. I can't imagine the crush if we have a similar carnival.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Busking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment