Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Scent of the night

Sleepless night.... I find myself reading Luca Turin's archived blog again. Reading about perfumes! I should be sniffing them. It's fascinating to read about all these wonderful perfumes but many of them are: a) not available in Singapore (thank goodness for the internet, this problem is made smaller); b) expensive; c) no longer in production.

Sounds like a tragedy that many great perfumes are no longer in production or are a faint shadow of the originals because the companies decided to use cheaper materials to increase their coffers. It's also a tragedy when every company is pandering to the masses. I love the original Armani Mania for women. Woody and musky, with no floral notes. Different and sexy. Now, the reissued Mania just smells like every other floral scent for women.

Thinking of this makes me hanker for Serge Lutens' Datura Noir again... Not because of any similarity between the original Mania and Datura Noir (Datura Noir is definitely more harmonious), but because both have that warm, sexy feel . Think I better go back to my new tatami bed and smell the grass...

No comments: