Monday, April 09, 2007

In Transit

One of the perils of a desk-bound job is that I'm most disinclined to be in front of the PC again after a long day at work. By the end of the day, I usually feel like I'm going blind. This is from working on a PC that dates as least as far back as 2002, with a 14-inch CRT monitor. Who uses that now anyway?

It explains why I've been away for so long. All my thoughts of what to share are usually long gone by the end of the day, my brain cells squeezed dry by that administrative work. But I also feel that I'm finally getting into the swing of things after one month - for better or worse.

I just discovered today that another colleague of mine has been on the job less than 2 years. What kind of place is it, that only the directors have been there for any length of time? And they wonder why people leave. Being here now almost makes me appreciate civil service - definitely the more disciplined and organized part. I'm not staying long either.

7 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

well, wg, it's quite like this in my industry too. i used to be quite upset when people i train & groom & bother to be nice, have lunches, send them home, leave. now i just take care of myself. selfish you may say, but hey!

sinlady said...

Keep eyes open and ears to the ground for opportunity to flee before the place sucks you dry !

wildgoose said...

Suzie Wong - Nobody gives me that kind of treatment! Not that I'm expecting it. But I see what you mean.

Sin Lady - I will. :)

Anonymous said...

haha. take it frm me. civil service turnover just as high, except for directors. whether it's organized or not, really depends on individual management. just like private sector. and it's really not dynamic. heh.

wildgoose said...

Imp - The turnover where I was (in civil service) isn't that high cos most of the staff recruited then are scholars! A few of them broke bond anyway. :P But I say it's not because of the pay.

Anonymous said...

okie... this is a bad sign. less than a month only! anyway, market is so good. just look around! :)

wildgoose said...

eatdrinkplayjunkie - I am. :)