Thursday, August 23, 2007

881

I brought my mom to watch 881 today. It's the first time in ages that she had been to the theater. I'm glad she enjoyed it. She told my dad it's funny, and so touching you could cry. I agree. Not only that, it's also magical. Most of all, it touches the heart because it's something I can relate to.

I used to speak some Hokkien with my grandparents when I was little, so I really enjoyed the Hokkien dialogue in the movie even if I don't understand all of it. And the Hokkien songs just seem to bring out the sadness of the story even more.

I'm not a champion of local movies and I have not watched Royston Tan's earlier movies, but I do watch local productions when the the story appeals to me. And this has to be the best local production I have watched to date.

I want to get the soundtrack but seems like the OST is sold out! Looks like I have to contend with watching YouTube videos for now.


4 comments:

sinlady said...

i normally shy away from local movies also - ham actors, melodrama, ugly people with bad fashion sense arghhh!

Qween said...

i'm a super local show supporter. i very much enjoyed 881 also...but only because of the songs. my humble views are that the plot and story line is not as attractive as i hoped it to be, trying to hover between "artistic" and "easy for lay person to understand". In the end, it sort of became a "try too hard" effect. But for the songs, i will watch it again. And so, like you, i'm also now looking for the OST. :)

Suzie Wong said...

this a beautiful song

wildgoose said...

SL - didn't know fashion sense is criterion for watching movies. Lol... The last part in the hospital was melodrama and draggy though.

qween plinc - I thought the story was a incoherent, esp the part about the fight with the Durian Sisters: "what the...?!!" Not sure what he's trying to achieve but I found the movie very enjoyable overall.
Hehe.. I'm sure you enjoyed the songs. :D

Suzie Wong - this is not the version used in the movie, but it's even better. That's why I'm looking forward to OST.