Tuesday, August 07, 2007

If I May Hazard a Guess,

why Singaporeans aren't having more babies. I think it's the lack of space.

My sister has moved in with my two nephews temporarily as my brother-in-law is overseas right now. It's been only one week and I feel like I'm going mad. Kids seem to have a need to scream when they play (or is it only the ones in my family). And where I live is not small by average standards.

I think I was lucky that when I was young, we lived in a block where there was a playground right behind the block. My mom could watched us from the kitchen window on the fifth floor so we were free to play downstairs away from the ears of the adults. Similarly, when we moved to a private apartment, since non-residents couldn't enter the grounds, we could play downstairs even though she couldn't see us. Maybe it's the kampung upbringing. My mom just wasn't too uptight about not being able to watch us all the time.

We sometimes ran out of the grounds to the lallang field next to our condo. My elder brother had sneaked over to the condo next door for their bigger pool. Heck, my lil brother and I even tried to explore the abandoned Chequers Hotel to see if anyone lived there, except that we were stopped by a pack of snarling wild dogs at the top of the stairs (I'm still sad that my lil brother eventually did explore the Chequers Hotel with a neighbour, but without me).

Where do you find that space now? Where's the lallang fields and abandoned hotels? The playgrounds are sand-less. You can't play soccer at the void decks. Every bit of space is being "developed". Where's the space for the kids to play?

4 comments:

sinlady said...

You have my full sympathy about noisy kids.

Suzie Wong said...

ok, that's it. I'm not going to regret my choice

wildgoose said...

SinLady - they're usually quite cute, so long as you don't have to live with them. :)

Suzie- Don't let me influence you! haha... not every kid is noisy like my nephews.

Anonymous said...

lack of space is not a problem... they play with nintendo Wii now!