Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Xmas Gifting

Xmas is almost upon us. It's gifting time. I don't celebrate Christmas. It's just another day for me, but I have a few friends who enjoy the gifting and we've been keeping the tradition going.

Last Oct, I told two of them that there's no need to give me a gift because I would have little space for stuff in the matrimonial home. Instead, they can donate to SPCA or a charity of their choice whatever they were going to spend on the gift. I got gifts from both in the end. I guess, part of the enjoyment of giving is in buying the gift. Or maybe they feel odd that they will be receiving something but not giving anything tangible to me. But it would really make me happier that the money is going to a worthy cause than for me to have more "things". I didn't make the same request this year. I guess I'll leave it up to them.

This does make me wonder though, if the gifts I picked out are useful, will be enjoyed, or will end up in the Salvation Army's donation bin once the holiday is over?

8 comments:

sinlady said...

aiyoh - no need be practical all the time. just enjoy the season in any form.

Aelgtoer said...

Yes I knowww... that's exactly what I dread when I go X'mas shopping or pressie shopping actually.

It's worse for Christmas due to the number of presents you're expected to get. But hey it's the thought that counts yes? Even if we use that as lipservice for lousy presents haha. :)

wildgoose said...

SL - that's a good point. But I just don't buy into the consumerism aspect of xmas.

aelgtoer - haha.... it can be a headache, esp friends you don't see as much anymore cos they've got kids. The less you see them, the less you know about them.

Anonymous said...

er....get some more animal lovers league calendars la...heehee, anyway thanks all who supported

wildgoose said...

I did! :) It's nice of you to invite them to your party. I'm too lazy to go all the way to Pasir Ris. :p

Anonymous said...

haha.. talk about terrible gifts. we just received some used dvd passed off as a present

wildgoose said...

edp junkie - you're kidding! Just return the gift next year. =p

Anonymous said...

good idea! haha.