The most important thing I had gained in the last two years, is the community that has been built around the practice. Everyone's generosity, bringing cakes, cookies, lemongrass drinks, and even yusheng during Lunar New Year, to the studio during the workshop. Helping each other to correct our asanas, being patient when the stress made us show our ugly sides at various points. Even helping to clean up the studio when we are finished with class. All these helped to build a support network of trust and in sustaining the energy to continue with the practice.
And much of these, I credit to my teacher. He has seen some of the temper flares and moderated us. He saw the hardness in some, and reminded us not to practice hard as that reflects and reinforces our characters. These have kept the group together instead of breaking into distinct cliques. Even in Bali, the other students of his I met are all unfailingly helpful and generous in sharing what they know, being more senior students. Without his guidance, the group might not have stayed together as well as it did.
The respect that he has gained, and our wish to follow him on this path, is not something that can be demanded or coerced out of us. True respect comes from the heart. Deference is nothing.
4 comments:
i've always said the sifu is all-important whatever it is we are training in. am glad you found yours in yoga :)
SL - I am glad too. It is a true blessing.
Well done! Seems like just yesterday that u were mentioning this course - EDPJ
edp junkie - Time flies. But ermm... I failed the exam leh. haha...
Post a Comment