The whole purpose of my visit to Vietnam in April was to see Halong Bay, and I was not disappointed. Despite the rains on the first day, the usual delays, the cruise went well. The limestone karsts were beautiful, the air was great. It was fun to kayak underneath caves and come into a completely secluded areas. Notwithstanding the 3000 visitors a day, the Bay was well-maintained.
The highlight of the 3-day cruise with the Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel was the midnight kayaking trip on the second night. The algae in the waters turned luminous when the water was stirred. Depending on the location, the algae gave a blue or green glow. With every stroke of the paddle, the water lit up. I stirred up the water just for the sake of seeing the glow. A thousand diamonds can't compare to the luminescence of the algae.
In the still of the night, underneath a blanket of stars, it was an utterly serene yet surreal experience.
4 comments:
sounds like one of those rare must-do once in your lifetime type experiences. good for you!
SL - It is. It was completely unexpected how good it turned out. :)
one the best experiences at halong bay. in a canoe!
Imp - It was! I swam too, which was fun, but it's really too cold for me. I don't know how the English swam 1km in that water.
Post a Comment