Friday, August 18, 2006

First Cuts

Watched Crazy Stone last night, one of six movies under the Focus: First Cuts project. The movie was hilarious. If a first film (or first few) from a young director is this good, I can imagine it can only get better. I liked how the director pieced together the story in bits, giving that element of surprise that a straightforward narration wouldn't give. I especially liked the spoof of Mission Impossible in the stealing scene.

Earlier, I had watched Kelvin Tong's Love Story, another Focus: First Cuts films. Maybe because I watched it on a sleepy Wednesday afternoon, but I felt that the story was rather beyond me, although I like how it weaved between fact and fiction. I need to watch it again. And have someone to watch it with so we can discuss what it's about!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also saw the trailer for Singapore Dreaming. Looks good. Touching and very Singaporean. Can't wait for it to open on 7 Sep.

2 comments:

Qween said...

becuz of ur post, i'll try my best to catch tis....always like to support local pdtns anyways and i hardly haf anything engrish i wanna watch in movies anyways ;)

n in case i forget tis fridays thumpers & sats 3 rms, both after 1030. U can either come for both, either or none. i will neither be offended nor think nobody loves me ;) But tats the grand plans anyways la. Oh strictly NO presents tanks.

wildgoose said...

heh.. too bad I'll be away when Singapore Dreaming opens. Otherwise, we can watch together. :) But funny that you say there's hardly anything in English you want to watch. Cos for me, there's hardly anything in Mandarin I want to watch.

See you in Thumpers on Fri. :)