Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lumpy Lumps

I made my first tiramisu today. I'm a sucker for beautiful pictures so I picked a recipe from this blog that's always full of delectatable pictures of baked goodies. The tiramisu was not very smooth but I guess that's understandable given that I whisked by hand. And I probably took too long between preparing the mascarpone and the whipped cream.

But I guess the real issue was that I didn't make a good estimate of the amount of cream and coffee I needed for each layer so the top layers were rather thin. The texture was off. So no, I didn't even take any photos. When I tried to scoop out a slice of the tiramisu, it just looked like a lump, and a lumpy lump at that.

Thank goodness it tasted decent. Not as smooth but probably better than the one I had last week at a local coffee chain (that was barely edible). It must be the copious amount of brandy in the recipe. Plus, I substituted the rum with more brandy because I didn't want to buy a full size bottle of rum for 60 ml. I could feel queasy in the stomach after 2 small pieces (or blobs) on an empty stomach.

Here's to less lumpy tiramisu next round.

4 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

Oi! Woman becomining of my age very sensitive to the WORD 'LUMPS' you know! Lol! Somemore you have to use double. LMAO!

So, question is, how come no pictures of your lumpy tiramisu? haha, got me worried there

Aelgtoer said...

lol, Yep post some pics, as long as it's good, presentation can go to the dogs... if it's for personal consumption that is.:)

My siser makes decent tiramisu and she says its really easy to do, if you want i can get the recipe for you, then you can give it a shot. Mm i love tiramisu with loads and loads of kahlua. :)

sinlady said...

My friends who make excellent tiramisu keep saying it is SO EASY! I never thought so and I never tried. Looks like not as easy as I am told.

wildgoose said...

Suzie Wong - it's a bit too lumpy to show!

aelgtoer - I think it's not recipe but the lack of skill. =P Kahlua is a good idea though.

Sinlady - think it would be easy for you. It's just that I got no culinary skills whatsoever. I had to find out what does "cream" (the verb) means. :P