On Sat, I dropped by the Salvation Army to donate a bag of clothes. It's a relief to finally get them out of the wardrobe, so I don't have to face a closet full of clothes and wonder about what to wear. After all, some of these stuff never really worked in my wardrobe. I'ld put the item on, try it out with other stuff but they don't work somehow. And there it goes back into the wardrobe again. Some just were not me to begin with.
I guess it is part of the experimentation to find out what suits oneself, although I'm not sure I found it yet. It is strange though, that this uncluttering process was started in part from reading a fashion forum. But the advice to pare down the number of items one buys each season/year does bring into focus what you really want, rather than buying everything you fancy in sight. I'm glad to say that it stops me from buying too much. I have a tendency to buy a lot of similar stuff. This year alone, I bought several dresses. Previously, it was spaghetti-strapped tops. But I realised I tend to wear some items over and over, but some not at all after a couple of times.
Since I hardly/don't use them, I figured that if I don't keep them, I don't have to maintain them, I would have more space to organize the things I want, and maybe someone else would find a use for them. Only problem was, I think I wasn't ruthless enough in weeding out my closet the last time. Oh well, there will always be round two. But I think the key is really in not putting in stuff that won't stay.
I guess it is part of the experimentation to find out what suits oneself, although I'm not sure I found it yet. It is strange though, that this uncluttering process was started in part from reading a fashion forum. But the advice to pare down the number of items one buys each season/year does bring into focus what you really want, rather than buying everything you fancy in sight. I'm glad to say that it stops me from buying too much. I have a tendency to buy a lot of similar stuff. This year alone, I bought several dresses. Previously, it was spaghetti-strapped tops. But I realised I tend to wear some items over and over, but some not at all after a couple of times.
Since I hardly/don't use them, I figured that if I don't keep them, I don't have to maintain them, I would have more space to organize the things I want, and maybe someone else would find a use for them. Only problem was, I think I wasn't ruthless enough in weeding out my closet the last time. Oh well, there will always be round two. But I think the key is really in not putting in stuff that won't stay.
4 comments:
no use deciding not to buy; we all just have to do the clean-out at least once every couple of years :)
My problem is that I have clothes with varying sizes in my wardrobe, always with the hope that one day, I can fit into them.
tell me about it. i still have a box of pre pregnancy clothes im trying to fit into!
SL - it actually feels good to have less stuff - like it's a burden off the shoulders. Of course, to temptation to accumulate is great. :p
sexybeast - i know what you mean, but I've junked those that I know realistically I'll never fit into again because I won't look the way I was at 25 or unless I do something drastic (which may or may not work).
edp junkie - your condition is only temporary! I'm sure getting back to work would help.
Post a Comment