Monday, September 03, 2007

Not so Fearful

Today is the third day of the intensive. The five-hour session yesterday was still manageable because we did a few basic and assisted inversions in the afternoon, which serves to rejuvenate the body. But we only had two hours today. There was little time for recovery asanas. I came back, took a (two-hour) nap and woke up aching all over. I'm glad I'm not working right now. Otherwise, I'll be struggling to stay awake in office.

But I'm glad I'm attending the intensive. We are taught the finer points of practice, are reminded that the practice is more mental than physical, and how important it is to listen to what your body tells you than to imitate a form. This couldn't have come earlier. I've learned through the painful way when I strained my neck on Thursday in my own practice, attempting the headstand when I wasn't feeling very focused or ready. I think the risk of injury is more fearful than going through the grueling workshop.

12 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

Wow! Love the scorpion post. wish i could do that (not that i can do the rest)

wildgoose said...

I would love to too, but I'm still a looong way away. I can only do the assisted shoulderstand and headstand.

sinlady said...

If you are having a good time, that's all that counts.

wildgoose said...

Yes, I'm enjoying waking up at 5 am and the accompanying aches. hahah... but seriously, it is good, and it's very humbling to learn from someone so experienced and knowledgeable.

Aelgtoer said...

Hi, I just popped over from Ming's blog. :) I've always been interested in taking up Yoga though unfortunately I doubt if my work hours would permit me to once I commence.

What kind/branch of Yoga are you taking? It sounds really advanced!

Suzie Wong said...

Hey aelgtoer, nice to see you here. Actually i learned of your blog from wildgoose. She linked to your post on the 881, that's how i found you

wildgoose said...

Aelgtoer - nice to see you here!

I'm taking Iyengar yoga, which is focused on alignment. I like it because it gives a very good grounding which I found lacking in classes I've taken previously. Now I wouldn't recommend other types of yoga. :P

I'm taking the Beginners class on Sunday morning at Oasis Holistic. The timing shouldn't be a problem right? ;)You can check out their website at http://www.oasisholistic.com/

Suzie - I was quite surprised when I clicked on aelgtoer's link on your page some days back. :D

Suzie Wong said...

yeah, i make friends with people quickly, with genuine people, of course. sigh, don't understand why some people find me a bit*h! Lol

Aelgtoer said...

Lol yep you told me in your email, Ming. :) And yeah I wouldn't worry about the people who find you a 'b^tch', they're probably just too anal and scared of trying new things, hence all they can do is to bitch.

Hi wildgoose, I think I bought a How to Use Yoga book by Mira Mehta a long time ago and it was on the Iyengar Yoga method too, which looks really nice! Sunday morning's still a problem cause of church and the family but hopefully I'll work something out.

Have you bought the 881 soundtrack already? The last time I checked, it's available at Sembawang Music stores again.:)

Oh and just to confirm your performance this Sunday will be at Marina Square right, Ming?

wildgoose said...

Hi aelgtoer - not checked out the CD shops yet. will do so soon. thanks! :)

Aelgtoer said...

No problem! If typing out aelgtoer is too much of a hassle for ya (as it would be for me^^) you can just use a short form like 'aelg' or my initials IC. :)

wildgoose said...

Sure, aelg.